Monday, May 3, 2010

A sad fowl story


Since I have been staying with Nunch and Orlando.. I really love to watch the chickens go about their daily business.. Their strutting and crowing and cackling and getting all those bad bugs consumed.The little chicks are especially cute as they follow the hens about.

One unfortunate day, one of the hens got too close to the dog and he injured her. She can no longer peck for food. She has been a good mother so Nunch has been hand feeding her and making sure that she has water..also given by hand. She has also gives her some of her own medication to ease her discomfort..

Today as I went out to hang my clothes , I noticed that the hen can no longer stand and her foot is paralyzed.With all this care, the hen has become somewhat tame and a pet. And we have become quite attached to her. But it has become time to do what must be done.

Orlando cannot bring himself to end her suffering ..so I thought I would ask the Chinese couple next door to do this act of kindness and perhaps use the chicken for soup.(she is healthy but injured). I thought How hard is it going to be ? After all it's just another chicken to someone else?

I thought I had a language barrier with Spanish..but trying to get the Chinese couple to understand my request was next to impossible. After much picture drawing and pantomiming the death of the injured chicken..my request was refused because they thought the chicken may have rabies from Orlando's dog..No amount of begging would make them do this for us.

So I continue to make the hen drink..Nunch said perhaps the Mennonite who owns the glass store on the other side of the house will do us this one small favor..Par Favor. Now I must wait until Lando comes back from his meeting

Orlando returned from his meeting and it has been decided that the injured hen will be given to the Mother down the street.. She has seven children and no support. She has a small part-time job ...her children are always clean and the house tidy..This woman is a good mom so this good chicken will go to her.



No comments:

Post a Comment