Friday, April 16, 2010

What a weekend!!

Today is my first whole day in Belize..
Last night we all got together and Orfalina made a wonderful chicken with rice..I made a salad and did all the talking..That is fair..'ya think?? I slept well and now just have to catch up on the 2 hour difference. My bed is great..as I fell asleep, an amazingly sense of peace came over me .. I love it here. I was... to a wonderful rainstorm on the roof.

We are going to Sopilar today and I will take plenty of pics of the progress thus far.
Weather was beautiful when we arrived at 10 am..Orf, Gigs, Yasmine , Andes and me. We had gone to the market and picked up stuff for our meals and purchased a frying pan, grater and tongs.(.we forgot to bring a big spoon for stirring.but Carmen fashioned one for us from wood on the land.)

We began prep for the meals and Orfalina made the chili, i grated the cabbage and carrots for the slaw and the rice was on the fagon..this was lunch and was so very good'
@ 3:00 pm all was ready and Andres brought up the rest of the people. I was saddened that Nunch had a fever and a very bad throat and could not attend..However I was surprised with Narcisso and Orfelina's husband , Cleotilde , and Nora and Raphael came..

Went up to the "back yard" at almost sunset ..There was no wind for the kite..maybe on Sunday.

We had a BBQ- cook-off between Andres and Narcisso..Narcisso cooking the chicken on the fagon on top of bayleaf palm stems and seasoned with cilantro and wild oregano .all from the land.
Andres cooked the chicken with BB-Q sauce on the grill fire. Both entrees were great!!( Of course, the winner was given the honor of doing the dishes ..so each said the other one was better)`We also had the chili and slaw and fresh corn tortillas that Betty made.
th
After dinner, we sat around the fire and talked and laughed..Andres had brought up some chairs and a small table from home and It made such a difference to enjoy the talking.. My Spanish is soo bad..not to mention that i talk with a French accent..BUT now I can understand a little of the subject matter .The computor had some charge left so we all watche some of the "Blue Planet" Fred, we actually did not hit the hammocks until 9:30..not like the last time.

The fireflies are out now and Narcisso called to one with his flashlight and it came to him!!They are so much bigger and brighter than in the US. The Howler Monkey also sang us a husky lullaby..and we saw a Fox,,it must live-by because he was around a number of times..We talked on until 10:30 about "Le Tigre"

Work up to the sounds & birds of the morning. We will be having heart of palm (Narcisso had cooked among the coals last night ) with eggs, oregano, and tomatoes and the remaining tortillas ,and beans. ( I skipped the carne and beans and had the yogurt from market with granola) Andes and Carmen came back to the champa with about 10# of Yucca . It tasted like a buttery boiled potato.

I am also going to take the young, tender cactus shoots and fry them..don"t worry , Fred, I will make Andres test them for poison..(I may have to gift him my little radio as a peace offering..he is so bossed about by all the women.. He is out side cleaning the vehicles with it on now and I am in peace..it is a win-win :-) )

Giggles loves the camera and is taking a lot of close-ups of all..she is my shadow.
Yasmin is soo mature and beautiful..She is such a help to her Mom and cleans and prepares without being asked..We need more like her.

After breakfast I was walking about with G. Since it is the dry season .. I was able to look ground side behind the Champa..Fred!!there is another cave entrance on the mound.. We took pictures. I believe that Carmen was hesitant to say anything after El Pilar..but it is there..and it may be attached to the other on top of the hill. Now you must come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment